Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Holy Gathers, Batman!

I was about to write an email to a seamstress down the street asking if I could bring my machine by for a looksies, but I figured I would try to solve it's issues myself one last time, and that apparently did the trick! I have no idea what was it's deal or what I may have done wrong, but I re-threaded the bobbin, re-threaded the top thread, made sure everything was squeaky clean and running smoothly, dials properly adjusted, and we were in business! I jumped and screamed and did a little dance. My roommate even came over to join in my rejoicing! I had tried all this about 1o times before, but the 11th time's the charm in my case, apparently.

Unfortunately, it was 11:30 at night when my machine was resurrected, and I couldn't help but start sewing when I should have just gone to bed. So the result today is one very tired girl wearing one very fabulous skirt! I was up until 4:30am putting it together, being a bit obsessive over the details, as it was my first "real" project and I wanted to get it just right. But it was so (sew) worth it! I wore it today and already got compliments! I followed the instructions that Gertie had on her wonderful blog. Thanks Gertie!

Here is the unveiling of the "retro bubble" gather skirt, as I call it!


A close up of the gathers:


My first zip!


I hand stitched the inside of the waistband to the skirt:


A little button for subtle personality:


A view of the inside:


I also had my first experience with interfacing. It went well, except I used some muslin as a pressing cloth, and when I had to get it damp it smelled HORRIBLE! I had to open my window because my entire room smelled like a large family of cats had crept in and peed everywhere. I have no clue what the deal was! I was hoping the smell wouldn't fuse into my skirt as I was ironing the stenchy fabric on top of it, but all was well and my skirt smells fine :) The zipper was a bit tricky withe gathers, and I had to rip it out about 3 times, but I am pleased with it now. The skirt came out to the perfect length and fits perfectly around my waist, yet again. It was quite enjoyable to make I foresee a few more of these in my future. I think this weekend I am going to make a heavier red one, with this fabric around the bottom for a wide hem:


and perhaps some kind of festive embellishment on the waistband. Maybe try my hand in a little embroidery?

After that, I am ready to move on to something a bit more challenging. I am thinking a blouse of some kind so I will have the basics of the bottom and top learned separately, and then combine them to start on some of my dress patterns!

This whole sewing thing is coming to me a lot more easily than I thought it would... what's the catch?

2 comments:

  1. you must have a really great roommate....
    i have to say, i LOVE your skirt. you did a really fantastic job. you are definitely cut out for this!!

    ReplyDelete