Saturday, November 7, 2009

Creation


Have you ever taken the time to watch the original Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein? Well, I did last night, and I must say that I was a bit disappointed in the Bride of Frankenstein. She was barely in the movie at all! And the monster wasn't named Frankenstein, he was called "The monster," even in the credits, so the movie should have been called "The Bride of the Monster!" I do realize that she is technically the bride of Frankenstein, since he did make her, so she is his, but it still bothers me.

Ok, I'll get off my high horse and get to the sewing. I watched these two movies last night as I practiced buttonholes and zippers, and they are both MUCH easier than I ever imagined! I watched some tutorials on youtube and referred to my lovely Dressmaker's Technique Bible for guidance. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a quick reference of clothing techniques (not just dresses!) to keep close to their sewing machine. I am very much a visual learner and can do something after I see it done (usually) so both of these resources are god-sends for me.

I made a trip down to Fields Fabric's last night and picked up some awesome retro fabric for my skirt!


I actually found many other colors of this fabric and thought to myself, if only they had a yellow and gray print of this, and then tucked away in a random hiding spot, there it was! It's not exactly what I had in mind when thinking about what I wanted to happen with this skirt. I was envisioning it to be white with red polka-dots, with a lipstick red waistband and a chunky 4" hem around the bottom, also in the red. But then I saw this fabric and said, polka-dot and red fabrics are always going to be around. And my mother also said I should go for the "funky" one, hehe.

I am running to the Jo-Ann's Superstore this afternoon to pick up some pinking shears, interfacing, and some other fun fabrics to have on hand. They are having a great sale where you get 20% off everything you buy ALL WEEKEND! Plus I have two 40% off coupons, too, and they usually take all my coupon's together, so I am beyond geeked! I should also share that all threads and buttons are 40% off at Fields, so I might head back there today and pick out a few of each, just to start building my collection.

I know it's not how the usual 22-year-old spends their weekend, but I like to create things and engage my mind, and sewing seems to be just what the doctor ordered to fulfill both of these. Plus, all of my roommates are gone this weekend, so it's just me and my sewing machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment